Thursday 28 November 2013

CiteULike

How I wish I had know about reference management software when I was doing my research degree.  It's a few years ago now, so possibly none was available in those far-off days.

When I think of the struggles involved in compiling a bibliography, making sure that every entry conformed to the standard required by the University, how much easier it would have been having a tool like this.

It was very simple to register with CiteULike, and with the bookmarklet on my toolbar it is incredibly easy to add citations to my library.

Ways in which we could use this in the Library keep occurring to me.  For example, when students have problems with referencing, we could point them to this type of software, which will automatically format the references in the appropriate style.

It would also be useful in compiling lists of references when we want to use evidence-based practice to inform our library activities.

I can see that I shall be making a lot of use of this in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment